Building a green wall: Can renewables catalyse levelling up and tackle the cost of living?
Levelling up should improve standards of living across the country. But can it address cost-of-living challenges? At the Conservative Party Conference Fringe 2022, our panel explored how committing to renewables could power jobs, growth and impact rising energy bills. They asked if decarbonisation is working and if the drive to net zero could deliver long-term energy security.
Panellists from left to right:
- Asif Rehmanwala, CEO, Ecotricity
- Dr Nina Skorupska CBE, Chief Executive, The Association for Renewable Energy and Clean Technology
- Akash Paun, Senior Fellow, Institute for Government (Chair)
- Rain Newton-Smith, Chief Economist, Confederation of British Industry
- Professor Matthew Paterson, Director of the Sustainable Consumption Institute, The University of Manchester
- Ben Houchen, Mayor of Tees Valley
This event was recorded on Monday 3 October 2022 and formed part of our party conferences fringe programme.