As the University’s policy engagement institute, Policy@Manchester provides thought leadership pieces by academics and organises events to share expertise.
Research from The University of Manchester is addressing key policy issues globally, nationally and locally. Below, we highlight research that is particularly relevant to Greater Manchester policy agendas, including two publications (one on place-based approaches to tackling inequalities and one on urban regeneration), a selection of recent articles, and recordings of events that discuss issues affecting the north.
Evidence-led solutions for thriving and sustainable communities.
Thought leadership and expert analysis on urban developments
We have a collection of articles focusing on policy issues in Greater Manchester. Recent blogs include:
- Running on empty: How charities are running on empty in the cost-of-living crisis – and what we can do about it
- A place to #BeeWell: Neighbourhood effects on young people’s wellbeing
- Strengthening participation in devolved policymaking: Designing democratic innovation to tackle inequalities
- Graphene as a regional-global innovation model
- Communities, traffic and positive action to address air pollution
We regularly host events across a range of topic areas. Below, we have provided links to recordings of previous events that have a place-based focus. You can find our full listings of upcoming and previous events in the events section of the website.
If you missed out on these events, you can find more information and links to the recordings below.
- Tackling loneliness: how can we improve access and quality of mental health care? (Tuesday 27 September 2022)
- Impact of COVID-19 on the Northern Powerhouse: One year on (5 October 2021)
- Happy and healthy communities: how can we build health and wellbeing into new home developments that work for everyone? (4 October 2021)
- Child of the North, COVID-19 update (Conservative Party Conference, 4 October 2021)
- Can place based partnerships drive innovation and growth across a city region and provide the key to levelling up? (4 October 2021)
- Child of the North: COVID-19 update (Labour Party Conference, 28 September 2021)
- How can we make the digital world accessible to older people? (17 September 2021)